Building Codes & Testing
All shake and shingle projects should conform to applicable building codes. Some wood shake and shingle code information is listed below. Ensure you check with you local building code official for the code(s) to comply with in your specific jurisdiction/locale.
ICC Shake & Shingle Code Sections
The following are the ICC Code Sections:
International Building Code (IBC):
Note: Sections 1507.8 & 1507.9 – Roofing and includes conformance to CSSB Grading Rules, installation, fasteners and underlayment specifications
- 1505.1 FIRE CLASSIFICATION General
- 1505.6 Fire-retardant-treated wood shingles and shakes
- TABLE 1507.1.1(1) UNDERLAYMENT TYPES
- 1507.8 Wood shingles (Roofing)
- 1507.9 Wood shakes (Roofing)
International Residential Code (IRC):
Note: Sections R703.6 (Shake or Shingle Sidewall), R905.7 (Shingle Roof) & R905.8 (Shake Roof): These sections discuss installation and includes fastener and underlayment specifications.
- R702.6 Wood shakes and shingles. Wood shakes and shingles shall conform to CSSB Grading Rules
- R703.6 Wood shakes and shingles (Siding)
- R902.1 FIRE CLASSIFICATION General
- R902.2 Fire retardant-treated shakes and shingles
- R905.1.1 Underlayment
- R905.7 Wood shingles (Roofing, which includes conformance to CSSB Grading Rules, installation, fastener’s and underlayment specifications)
- R905.8 Wood shakes (Roofing, which includes conformance to CSSB Grading Rules, installation, fasteners and underlayment specifications)
NOTE: IBC Sections 1505.6, 1507.8 and 1507.9 (installation, fasteners, underlayment and many other specifications are discussed in these sections)
NOTE: IRC Sections R703.2, R703.6, R905.7 and R905.8 (installation, fasteners, underlayment and many other specifications are discussed in these sections).
NOTE: ICC Chapters 15 (IBC) and Chapters 7 & 9 (RC) all state: “Wood shakes / shingles shall be installed in accordance with this chapter and the manufacturer’s installation instructions.”
Canadian Standards Association (CSA Group)
The CSA Group produced the “Western red cedar shakes and shingles” standard number 0118.1-08 (reaffirmed 2013).
Important Note on Copying Standards Documents
Note that code writing bodies often have stringent copyright restrictions on building codes that prevent the Cedar Shake and Shingle Bureau from making a hard or electronic copy for someone else. The Cedar Shake and Shingle Bureau does, however, make copies of CSSB-97 Grading Rules, the grading rules adopted by all national and international building codes, available for free in downloadable .PDF format (up to three copies per individual are available on request). Contact the CSSB to make a request.