Seminars & Shows
The CSSB provides educational seminars through its District Managers to a variety of audiences including architects, building officials, and contractors. Partnering with the American Institute of Architects ( AIA ) as a Continuing Education Seminar provider, CSSB seminars allow architects to obtain learning unit credits toward their mandatory education requirements. Seminars are provided free of charge, however, accommodation, meal and transportation costs for CSSB staff are greatly appreciated. Contact Kelly Vaille , Marketing Coordinator at the CSSB office for details on upcoming program schedules or to request a seminar in your area.
Since the inclusion of the AIA CES provider program, the CSSB field team has conducted numerous AIA CES seminars with an audience range of 12 to 120 per event. These seminars consistently turn in 90-95% attendee satisfaction results based on surveys received. With comments such as "excellent information presentation" and "the best seminar I have attended yet" the CSSB is proud of the work being done with architects to promote the benefits of using cedar shakes and shingles in both residential and commercial design. The CSSB sees education as an important component of its marketing initiative. The more the design and construction industry learns about the benefits, correct application and uses for cedar shakes and shingles the bigger the benefit to the membership.
Currently the CSSB offers the following programs for learning unit credits:
"Western Red Cedar Shakes & Shingles. Identification, Application and Benefits" 2 learning unit credits (HSW)
The CSSB will provide product knowledge enabling the architect to design accurate replications by achieving the following:
- At the end of the two hour program participants will have learned how to specify cedar roofing and sidewall products properly, understanding which is appropriate material for which project.
- Be able to accurately evaluate variable costs of cedar roofing and sidewall products
- Make basic approval of on-going projects and be able to recognize proper and improper installations
- Understand why Western Red Cedar shingles/shakes embody many desirable characteristics.
All CSSB facilitators have worked in the industry for many years conducting seminars for AIA groups as well as dealers, wholesalers, community associations, building code officials and university building material majors. They are well versed in product description and function. They all have knowledge of manufacturing and grading rules and have toured numerous production facilities.
Method of Delivery:
Lecture, video, Power Point
"Finishes/Coatings: Recommendations for Western Red Cedar Shakes & Shingles" 1 learning unit credit (HSW)
The CSSB will provide knowledge of coatings and finishing and how they relate to Western Red & Alaskan Yellow cedar shakes and shingles, enabling the architect to accurately choose the correct coating type for a specific product.
At the end of the one hour program participants will have learned:
- How to specify pre-finished Western Red Cedar/Yellow-Cedar roofing and sidewall products properly.
- Which finishing product types are appropriate for which project.
- How to properly apply coatings in the field.
- How to recognize the features and durability of each type of coating as it relates to Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata) and Yellow-Cedar (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis) species.
- The causes of coating failure.
- About extractive bleeding.
- About nail and other iron stains.
- How to address the issues surrounding mold, moss and lichen growth.
AIA National Convention - Denver, CO: June 20 - 22, 2013
Chicago Roofing Contractors Show - Oakbrook Terrace, IL: Jan 23 - 24, 2014
International Roofing Expo - Las Vegas, NV: Feb 26 - 28, 2014
Minneapolis Home & Garden Show - Minneapolis, MN: Feb 26 - Mar 2, 2014
JLC Live - New England - Providence, RI: March 20 - 22, 2014
Frederick, MD -National Park Service
Greenwich, CT - AIA
Savannah, GA - Contractor Group