Design and Application Details
General Application Notes
- The contractor shall cover all wall surfaces with Certi-labelTM Western Cedar shingles or shakes bearing the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau's official grade marked label.
- Certi-labelTM Western Cedar shingles/shakes for outer courses shall be (specify grade and length).
- Certi-labelTM Western Cedar shingles/shakes for undercourses shall be (specify grade and length).
- Certi-labelTM Western Cedar sidewall shingles/shakes shall be (doubled or tripled) at foundation lines.
- Certi-labelTM Western Cedar sidewall shingles shall be spaced apart 1/8" to 1/4".
- Joints of Certi-labelTM Western Cedar shingles/shakes in any one course shall be offset not less than 1 1/2" from the joints in adjacent courses.
- Certi-labelTM Western Cedar shakes on sidewalls shall be spaced apart not more than 3/8" to 1/2".
- Certi-labelTM Western Cedar sidewall shingles/shakes shall be applied with a weather exposure of (specify in inches from exposure chart).
Fastening Sidewall Shingles/Shakes
- Fasteners should be long enough to penetrate into the sheathing at least 3/4" or all the way through and driven flush with the surface of the Certi-labelTM Western Cedar shingle or shake. In all applications, staples shall be concealed by the course above. Fasteners cannot be electro-galvanized as they will cause staining. For aesthetic reasons, nails are preferred for sidewall applications.
(Note: Due to the diverse range of fastener requirements, please refer to the charts on page 5 for fastener specifications).
This information has been designed to aid architects, consultants and builders in specifying Certi-labelTM Western Cedar shingles and shakes. It suggests a standardized terminology and style for ordering in the hope of improving accuracy. It incorporates a general outline of the latest application information. Please note, however, that this is an application guide only. The information in this manual is not intended to supercede local codes. Refer to local building codes for more information.