A Certi-Sawn red cedar shake is sawn both faces but is thicker than a shingle. The added thickness enables it to be applied as a shake (2 ply with paper/felt interlay) resulting in lower application costs. Many architects like the more defined shadowline of the heavier butt.
Certi-Sawn Tapersawn Cedar Shakes
Number 1 Grade
Description: Nominal lengths 18" and 24" shakes shall be of random widths, minimum width shall be 3 ½". Tapersawn shakes less than 4" in width shall not constitute more than 5% of each bundle. Thickness shall be nominal 5/8" or ¾" with a minus tolerance of 1/16" in 10% of the bundle. Face 100% clear. Flat grain 20% maximum per bundle. 1/8" sapwood allowed to exposure line. Additional sapwood permitted above that point.
Roof Exposure: 10" for 24-inch shake; 7½" for 18-inch shake. Interlaid felt is required.
Wall Exposure: Single course: 10½" for 24-inch shake; 8 " for 18-inch shake
Double course: 18" for 24-inch shake; 14" for 18-inch shake.
Recommended Use: For walls or roofs on 4:12 slope and steeper where a high quality, durable and uniform appearance is desired.
Starter-finish Course: Length 15'. For use on the underlying starter course at eave lines and for the final course at ridges where trimming would otherwise be necessary and full-length shakes are not needed.
Description: Same as Number 1 Grade, except that all product shall be 100% edge grain. All other descriptions from Number 1 Grade apply.
Number 2 Grade
Description: Nominal lengths 18" and 24", minimum width shall be 3", shakes less than 4" width shall not constitute more than 10% of the running inches of each bundle. Thickness shall be nominal 5/8" or ¾": with a minus tolerance of 1/16" in 10% of the bundle. Limited defects are allowed 9" above the butt in 18" shakes and 12" above the butt in 24" shakes. Unlimited flat grain is allowed. Sapwood is restricted to 1" in width for the first 10 inches.
Roof exposure: 7½" for 24-inch shake; 5½" for 18-inch shake.
Wall exposure: Single course: 10" for 24-inch shake; 7½" for 18-inch shake.
Double course: 11½" for 24-inch shake; 8½" for 18-inch shake.
Recommended Use: For walls or roofs on 4:12 slope and steeper where a good quality appearance is desired.
- Class A, B & C fire ratings may be obtained by specifying Certi-Guard® pressure impregnated fire-retardant treated Premium or Number 1 Grade shakes.
- Certi-Last® pressure impregnated preservative treatment is available for added longevity.
- Contact the treatment company for treatment warranty information, accessory product requirements (including recommended fastener types) and application details for treated cedar material.
- Certi-label™ cedar shake and shingle products are manufactured by members of the
Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau are graded in accordance with UBC Standards No. 15-3 and/or CSA 0118.1.
- 1997 ICBO Uniform Building Code requires No. 2 grade tapersawn shakes having two thicknesses at the butt: 5/8" or ¾" with a minus tolerance of 1/16".
- This is only a product description necessary for selection of materials and grades. For a new roof construction manual and/or wall manual please contact: email@example.com.